This DVD will help busy health professionals learn effective CBT strategies to use in a brief primary care consultations. Each clip highlights key skills for working with patients presenting with anxiety about health, or with distressing and persistent physical symptoms, including medically unexplained symptoms.
Key features include:
- Management of patients with high levels of anxiety about health
- How to build rapport and avoid excessive investigations and referrals
- Managing frequent attendances at primary care services
- CBT strategies to encourage self-management and facilitate behavioural change
- Patients presenting with ‘tired all the time’ and persistent fatigue
- Managing irritable bowel syndrome
I am a GP and cognitive-behavioural therapy specialist based in the UK. I am the founder and director of 10 Minute CBT. We provide face to face and online education for GPs and other health professionals in the use of evidence-based, realistic and effective brief CBT concepts and skills in routine consultations.
I am author of the textbook, Using CBT in General Practice: The 10 Minute CBT Handbook (Scion Publishing, 2013) and I am in the process of writing a new book on understanding and managing anxiety disorders in primary care.
- MB BS
- BSc (Social Psychology as applied to health)
- MRCGP (distinction)
- MA (cognitive-behavioural therapy)
- PG Cert (medical education)
10 Minute CBT is used in a wide variety of settings including primary care mental health, medication and chronic disease management and for cancer and palliative care. Dr David has a particular interest in promoting patient self-management for both physical and emotional problems, as well as in supporting health professionals to develop emotional resilience and wellbeing at work in one-to-one sessions via Skype.