This DVD will help busy health professionals learn effective CBT strategies to use in a brief primary care consultations. Each clip highlights key skills for working with common physical health problems and long-term conditions including management of:
- Healthy behaviour change in a non-compliant patient with type 2 diabetes
- Improving self-esteem in multiple sclerosis
- Increasing confidence with speech problems after a stroke
- Pain and emotional distress in chronic back pain
- Fear of death and uncertainty about the future after breast cancer
I am a GP and cognitive-behavioural therapy specialist based in the UK. I am the founder and director of 10 Minute CBT. We provide face to face and online education for GPs and other health professionals in the use of evidence-based, realistic and effective brief CBT concepts and skills in routine consultations.
I am author of the textbook, Using CBT in General Practice: The 10 Minute CBT Handbook (Scion Publishing, 2013) and I am in the process of writing a new book on understanding and managing anxiety disorders in primary care.
- MB BS
- BSc (Social Psychology as applied to health)
- MRCGP (distinction)
- MA (cognitive-behavioural therapy)
- PG Cert (medical education)
10 Minute CBT is used in a wide variety of settings including primary care mental health, medication and chronic disease management and for cancer and palliative care. Dr David has a particular interest in promoting patient self-management for both physical and emotional problems, as well as in supporting health professionals to develop emotional resilience and wellbeing at work in one-to-one sessions via Skype.