This 3-hour online training module will provide participants with a series of key skills for understanding and using a brief 10 Minute CBT approach for patients with depression and low mood.
The module comprises video lectures and demonstrations, written notes and interactive questions to facilitate learning.
The module will cover:
- Overview of a five-areas or cognitive-behavioural framework for depression including typical thoughts and behaviours
- A review of the key communication skills to engage and build rapport with individuals suffering from depression
- Key CBT strategies for overcoming depression including behavioural activation
- Using values-based goal setting to support and motivate individuals to make life changes
- Video demonstrations of health professionals 10 minute consultations with a depressed patient and core skills in action
I am the founder and director of 10 Minute CBT. I am a GP and cognitive-behavioural therapy specialist based in the UK.
- MB BS
- BSc (Social Psychology as applied to health)
- MRCGP (distinction)
- MA (cognitive-behavioural therapy)
- PG Cert (medical education)
During a Masters degree in CBT, my research dissertation focused on identifying useful ways for GPs and other health professionals to incorporate CBT skills into brief consultations. Since then I have continued to focus on developing approaches to the effective application of CBT principles in non-traditional therapy settings, particularly those with limited time.
My aim is to improve the management of patients with mental health conditions as well as improving care for psychological aspects of physical health conditions and patients with health anxiety / medically unexplained symptoms. I am also interested in using CBT, acceptance, self-compassion and mindfulness to promote emotional resilience and enhance wellbeing among health professionals.