This 3-hour online training module will provide participants with a series of key skills for understanding and using a brief 10 Minute CBT approach for patients with depression and low mood.
The module comprises video lectures and demonstrations, written notes and interactive questions to facilitate learning.
The module will cover:
- Overview of a five-areas or cognitive-behavioural framework for depression including typical thoughts and behaviours
- A review of the key communication skills to engage and build rapport with individuals suffering from depression
- Key CBT strategies for overcoming depression including behavioural activation
- Using values-based goal setting to support and motivate individuals to make life changes
- Video demonstrations of health professionals 10 minute consultations with a depressed patient and core skills in action
I am a GP and cognitive-behavioural therapy specialist based in the UK. I am the founder and director of 10 Minute CBT. We provide face to face and online education for GPs and other health professionals in the use of evidence-based, realistic and effective brief CBT concepts and skills in routine consultations.
I am author of the textbook, Using CBT in General Practice: The 10 Minute CBT Handbook (Scion Publishing, 2013) and I am in the process of writing a new book on understanding and managing anxiety disorders in primary care.
- MB BS
- BSc (Social Psychology as applied to health)
- MRCGP (distinction)
- MA (cognitive-behavioural therapy)
- PG Cert (medical education)
10 Minute CBT is used in a wide variety of settings including primary care mental health, medication and chronic disease management and for cancer and palliative care. Dr David has a particular interest in promoting patient self-management for both physical and emotional problems, as well as in supporting health professionals to develop emotional resilience and wellbeing at work in one-to-one sessions via Skype.