This 3-hour online video training module will provide a comprehensive introduction to effective brief strategies for promoting healthy lifestyle behaviour. The training is drawn from principles of motivational interviewing and CBT and covers the following core topics:
- Using a CBT model to understand an individual perspective about lifestyle behaviour
- Strategies to overcome resistance and engage people in the process of change
- Ways to break vicious cycles of negative thinking and unhelpful behaviour and improve wellbeing and resilience
- Applying key behaviour change theories to brief consultations
- Building confidence and overcoming barriers to change
- Brief problem-solving strategies for overcoming setbacks
- CBT skills designed for brief consultations to maximize effectiveness of limited time
The training is designed for all health professionals with an interest in promoting health lifestyles. The module is suitable for delegates with little or no prior training in CBT, as well as those with more experience who wish to learn how to adapt CBT to a brief setting, including:
- GPs and family physicians
- Nurses and nurse practitioners
- Allied health professionals including OTs, physios, SALT and dietitians
- Functional and lifestyle medicine
- Mental health nurses and support workers
- Health care assistants
- Social workers and support workers
I am a GP and cognitive-behavioural therapy specialist based in the UK. I am the founder and director of 10 Minute CBT. We provide face to face and online education for GPs and other health professionals in the use of evidence-based, realistic and effective brief CBT concepts and skills in routine consultations.
I am author of the textbook, Using CBT in General Practice: The 10 Minute CBT Handbook (Scion Publishing, 2013) and I am in the process of writing a new book on understanding and managing anxiety disorders in primary care.
- MB BS
- BSc (Social Psychology as applied to health)
- MRCGP (distinction)
- MA (cognitive-behavioural therapy)
- PG Cert (medical education)
10 Minute CBT is used in a wide variety of settings including primary care mental health, medication and chronic disease management and for cancer and palliative care. Dr David has a particular interest in promoting patient self-management for both physical and emotional problems, as well as in supporting health professionals to develop emotional resilience and wellbeing at work in one-to-one sessions via Skype.