This 2-hour online training module is designed to give participants a basic understanding of the CBT framework and an introduction to how to use a 10 Minute CBT approach in short consultations.
The training programme comprises video lectures and role-play demonstrations, written notes and interactive questions to facilitate learning.
The training will cover:
- Understanding the basic principles of CBT and a five-areas or cognitive-behavioural model (CBM)
- An introduction to applying this model to common primary care problems such as depression, anxiety and pain
- Provide an overview of the core communication skills for using a 10 Minute CBT approach in brief consultations to build strong relationships and facilitate change
- Learn strategies to improve collaboration and empower patients to manage their own problems
- Video demonstrations of each skill in action
- An overview of key strategies for managing time pressures and using time more effectively
I am a GP and cognitive-behavioural therapy specialist based in the UK. I am the founder and director of 10 Minute CBT. We provide face to face and online education for GPs and other health professionals in the use of evidence-based, realistic and effective brief CBT concepts and skills in routine consultations.
I am author of the textbook, Using CBT in General Practice: The 10 Minute CBT Handbook (Scion Publishing, 2013) and I am in the process of writing a new book on understanding and managing anxiety disorders in primary care.
- MB BS
- BSc (Social Psychology as applied to health)
- MRCGP (distinction)
- MA (cognitive-behavioural therapy)
- PG Cert (medical education)
10 Minute CBT is used in a wide variety of settings including primary care mental health, medication and chronic disease management and for cancer and palliative care. Dr David has a particular interest in promoting patient self-management for both physical and emotional problems, as well as in supporting health professionals to develop emotional resilience and wellbeing at work in one-to-one sessions via Skype.